Translate

Sunday, August 16, 2009

10 years!

This month we celebrated our ten year anniversary.  When we first were married I remember a friend telling us that if you can make it through the first two years of marriage you can handle anything!  I look back now and can't believe how fast those first two years flew, and the next eight seemed even faster!

To celebrate we have some dear friends who insisted on keeping our kids over a Friday night so we could actually leave town and "do  something."  We finally agreed and found ourselves here at this bed and breakfast in a town about an hour away called Natchitoches (locally pronounced Nackatish--don't ask why, I can't explain).  It is the oldest existing town in Louisiana. 

The bed and breakfast was really pretty inside.

It was built at the turn of the twentieth century.
The town had a lot of old Louisiana charm.  There were a lot of shops down this historic street and it was fun to walk and shop, although the temperature passed 100 degrees that day, plus the air was thick with humidity.  But it was worth the walk. 

We went to eat at a restaurant called Mariners, and this was the view from our table.  It was really pretty.  We had almost forgotten what it was like to dine without four extra mouths to wipe and bottoms to keep on the seats politely.  It was amazing to have so many hours of conversation without interruption.

The biggest tourist draw to this town is the filming of the popular film Steel Magnolias.  This bed and breakfast is not only named after the movie, it was actually used in the movie as the main family home.  There is a whole tour you can do through the town, but we didn't have time for it.  We just did our own looking and shopping.

We had never been to a bed and breakfast before and although we thought it was pretty and we would probably do it again, I have to say we would have rather talked to each other at breakfast than a room full of people we didn't know, but they were all really nice.  

5 comments:

Devon said...

That's exactly how I feel about B&Bs! They're so pretty and homey, but I don't really want to vacation with strangers! It looks absolutely beautiful! We're still trying to figure out exactly what we're going to do for our 10 year next month, but anyting without wiping noses and keeping bottoms on chairs sounds divine! How's the baby count-down coming? We keep wanting to call you guys, but I'm always afraid I'll bug you when you're in labor! Hope you're feeling well. We've been thinking of you!

princess jen said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been 10 years. You two have always been so cute together. That's a gorgeous bed and breakfast you found! But I understand what you mean about eating with strangers. Kind of like on a cruise.

Karen said...

This could steal my heart you know. I am jealous. Hope you had a good time in spite of the group dining.

The Egan 4 said...

You guys should have totally done the Steel Magnolias tour! I would have!! Since it is my fave all time movie!! Jealous!! Happy Anniversary!!

Natalie and Shane said...

Happy Anniversay (a little late)!!!!
Love the pictures of the B&B, what a gorgeous spot, and how romantic. If we ever get down to visit, we will have to do the Steel tour.