As we mentioned this was a special day. Full of special people and wonderful events. But getting there was quite a battle. Here is the other side of the story.
This morning we had 16 people to get up, dressed, fed and out the door by 8:30 a.m. for church. As we all had a late night of chatting and catching up with friends we all new this would be difficult. I (Robin) prayed for extra help to get to church and have a great attitude upon arrival to the church.
I think the first test came when we lost Philip's belt. We have never encounter this on a Sunday morning, but we found a spare that was too big for Philip but only slightly too big for Benjamin. We swapped things around and Philip wore Benjamin's and Benjamin wore the spare.
Then 2 minutes to "go time" and Jacob comes to inform me that his pants split right down the middle while he was wrestling with his best friend, Josh. I took a deep breath and found a new pair for Jacob on his shelf, just waiting for him to out grow his current pair. I guess he out grew them today!
On climbing in the van, Emma informed me that she had dirt on her dress, but she had already grabbed a wash cloth to dab away at it, though it never came out.
Then Nato let me know that his car, (we have to drive two cars everywhere because we have outgrown our van) was out of gas. We decided to have him squeeze in the back of the van, just because we HAD to.
As we drove to church I decided to try to calm all the frazzles by pointing out one thing each kid did this morning to help us on our way. It was easy to find something for each one. Lets face it, we got 16 people ready and out the door on time, PLUS the many Oreos, Fudge Stripe Cookies, Nutter Butters, Pecan Sandies and Oranges we were going to share with all our German friends after the baptism.
BUT. . . just as I finished complimenting each child in the van. . .
Philip threw up!
Yup, it was awesome!
It took all my strength to stay calm and just drive. What a blessing I still had an extra pair of pants in my big church bag from back in the potty training days last summer. Hallelujah, I never cleaned out that bag!
So we got there, we got Philip cleaned up (it was a car sick thing, not a germ sick thing) and everyone to the correct classes. Whew!
But we were not done. About 1 hour into church, Lois pooped all over the white dress my mom crocheted for all our little girls to be blessed in. Since sacrament meeting is last, she didn't get blessed in the pretty white dress, but a back up dress I had in my bag.
Luckily, no one went naked, and everyone had so many cookies I didn't have to make lunch! There is always a bright side. But honestly, by the time we got to the actually ordinances performed today, we had all the bugs worked out and everything was really nice.
But getting there is still a pretty funny story. . . Now that it is a few hours later.
1 comment:
Wow! What a story! :) I always have extra pairs of clothes for my kids too. I did notice this Sunday that I have 2 HUGE church bags and I don't think anyone else does. I guess we are more prepared. Lol.
It's touching that all of your small branch stayed for Emma's baptism. Germans are AWESOME!
PS I'm so glad the Cole's live "near" you again.
Post a Comment