Translate

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blueberries!

It has been three years since I have canned ANYTHING! (Note: Florida is good for fresh beaches, not fresh farmer's markets.) When I learned that there are blueberry farms here I was so excited I couldn't contain myself. I begged a friend to show me where they are and I packed up the kids and we all went and picked blueberries one morning. Jacob did a superb jog picking about 3 quarts himself and I managed to pick a gallon as well. Then I bought some from the farmer himself too (a little more than the price of the Pick Your Own berries, but still a great deal).
Next we came home and got to work. We have made fresh blueberry pie, canned blueberry juice (to be made into syrup for pancakes and such later), blueberry muffins gallore, and filled my freezer. It was so wonderful! Each time I start canning I am excited, somewhere in the middle of the day I am tired and I start to wonder why I do this, but by the end I am so pleased with a days hard work I hardly notice how tired I am. I have decided that I must love it, I would do it again in an instant!

2 comments:

Karen said...

MMMMM. Up to your old ways I see. I am jealous we don't live close enough to get some of that syrup.

princess jen said...

SO JEALOUS!! I would love to have loads of fresh blueberries! But I can't complain too loudly. I have jars and jars of peaches and pears I canned last summer. Delicious!