When it comes to school Jacob and Emma's excitement has reminded me a lot of Nemo. "When do I get to start 2nd grade?" Has been the constant question from Jacob ever since we ended 1st grade at the beginning of May. Now you may be wondering why we would begin school in the second week of July. There are actually many reasons.

1. A new baby is coming in Aug/Sept, and a break for mommy then would be really nice.
2. The kids want to.
3. Taking other breaks just one week at a time gives us flexibility if/when the kids start to get burned out.
4. The kids want to.
5. This also gives us the ability to take a long weekend WHENEVER Nato has one.
5. The kids want to.
6. A nice LONG family vacation somewhere in the middle of the year, when crowds are small at, yes you guessed it, Disney World!
7. The kids want to.
Honestly when we started homeschooling I never imagined my kids would like school THIS much. I thought we would have fighting and complaining ALL the time. The exact opposite has happened. As soon as breakfast is over Jacob wants to start. I have to remind him almost daily that I have to finish cleaning up breakfast dishes before we can start and sometimes I need to start a load of laundry, ect. Jacob has started volunteering to do the dishes just so we can get to school faster.
I give the credit for his ambition to the curriculum we have used and the new one we are using now. Last year we used one from a home schooling group called Maeser Academy. It was set up so easily and taught us how to home school. We now follow a curriculum that I put together with the help of a friend down the road and we like it just as much as Maeser's. The best part is that it costs a lot less to pull one together yourself, compared to paying someone to do it for you. I am very grateful for the year we had with Maeser though. Without it I would still be doubting just about everything I am doing. They really showed me how to teach a child/children.
So Jacob is now in 2nd grade and Emma is in Kindergarden. Benjamin, well, he just has to be in the picture because someone is taking one! Boy they grow fast! And we are looking forward to an new exciting year of growing.
4 comments:
I am so impressed. I love that the kids love school and learning that much. Besides there isn't anything wrong with year round school.
I think that is too awesome! I was just thinking how sad I'm going to be to send McKinley back to school in a month, cause I'll miss her! (Of course, I might be willing to send Kennedy... ;) You are just amazing, and I LOVE the playhouse! That's a pretty great thing to win! And I have a package sitting here that I am FINALLY going to get sent to you guys. My life has become completely devoted to keeping the kids alive and I have accomplished absolutely nothing else. Someday you'll have to let me know how you do it all!
Gramma Taylor has yet one more thing to brag about. I am likewise impressed. Good job to all of you.
Alan and I have thought off and on about homeschooling. I just don't think that I am disciplined enough to do what needs to be done on a consistent basis. Kindgergarten ended up being a poor experience overall and I'm nervous about first grade. I'm glad to know though, that should I need to, I can pull her out and homeschool her instead.
Post a Comment