Translate

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Annual Primary Program

Sunday was the day of our annual primary program. Emma and Jacob were really excited and I was nervous. Emma, being still three, is the youngest in Primary right now. The next youngest is about to turn 6 in February. So there is a huge age gap! Emma is not shy, but she has picked up on a trade the last few months I like to call, "If I act like I need help I get LOTS of help!" But trust me she really doesn't need help. At home she will do anything to keep up with Jacob, but at church she pulls out those puppy dog eyes and the primary leaders will do anything for her. The women in primary are wonderful so I can't complain about the LOADS of help they give her, I just didn't want to see an "Emma meltdown" in the middle of sacrament meeting.
We worked and worked for weeks on her part and then the big day came. Jacob and Emma were the last two children on the program and I sat and worried the whole way through. I watched the wiggles the turning around in the seats and wondered if and when fear might set in. As we neared the end I saw Emma whisper something to the leader sitting next to her and I knew we were in for trouble. The leader looked at me in the audience and mouthed the words I could see coming, "She has to go to the bathroom!"
As quickly and reverently as possible we wralked (walking so fast it looks like running, but it is really just walking so it is okay to do in a church in an emergency) to the bathroom. Emma sat down and said "Whew Mom! We just made it!" I knew she was right but we still needed to get back FAST. Quickly we finished and wralked back returning her to her seat as reverently as possible. We had a little time to spare so I sat myself down and tried to be calm. Jacob had told me the day before I was going to cry my eyes out at their program and he was right!
Jacob got up first and told a personal story about a time he had a bad dream and said a prayer to feel better so he could go back to sleep. I get choked up just thinking of his words, so simple, so honest.
Emma, last of all, stepped up to the podium and after a slight pause announce, "I know that I am a beloved child of God and we are all brothers and sisters. I love my Heavenly Father and I love the Savior."
She had done it perfectly and between the two I had my flood gates wide open. Not because they had stepped up there without any one's help. I was crying because I knew that Jacob and Emma both know God and the Savior and they do trust and love them!


5 comments:

Devon said...

Oh, that is TOO TOO cute! And come on, can you blame anyone for giving into that girl? LOOK AT HER! She is so darling! And I love that you cried. You're such a good mommy!

Crista said...

Sweet thoughts. Thanks.

April said...

Doesn't surprise me that your kids did great with their primary parts and that they know they are loved by Heavenly Father, they have great parents! Also Congrats on the new move, I was really thinking it was Hawaii! I still can't get over how big your kiddos are and that you have 4, you amaze me.

princess jen said...

Yay!! I'm glad they did so well, even if there was a bathroom emergency in the middle.

princess jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.