Translate

Sunday, November 2, 2008

O is for Pumpkin!


Okay, okay so O is not for pumpkin, but O is for October and this October we were craving pumpkin. So we really pumpkined it up! It all started when we began to miss the lack of seasonal change around here. I was craving something ANYTHING that would help us feel Autumn was here. Then the thought of pumpkin cookies came to mind, but cookies are only eaten in this house by Nato and Robin (seriously the kids will eat one from a batch and decline on any more) so we had to come up with something else.


As I discussed my dilemma with a friend she offer to share a recipe she had for Pumpkin Oatmeal. I made up the first batch and the whole family was in heaven. The smell of Autumn was EVERYWHERE and we all got very excited!

A day or two later Jacob found a recipe in a children's magazine for Pumpkin Soup and insisted on trying it. The fever was contagious! Soon we were trying Pumpkin Scones, Pumpkin Waffles, Pumpkin Pancakes, and even Pumpkin & Black Bean Chili. But not a single cookie or pie was created this month, only healthy foods pack with this wonderful orange vegetable. I thought we would be getting sick of this pumpkinitis, but no, four times this week the kids asked for Pumpkin Oatmeal and I enjoyed each morning we were able to eat it.


I have been through so many cans of pumpkin I feel I should really be buying stock in "Libby's."

So if you have any extra pumpkin lying around this holiday and you want a healthy way to feed it to your family let me know I will send you my stack of Pumpkin Recipes.

Pumpkin Scones with Berry Butter

2 comments:

Crista said...

Robin, send me your recipes! We just processed "Jack", our 45 lb pumpkin for Halloween and I have a freezer FULL of pumpkin for the using! Thanks for all of your fun pictures and cute stories. What an adorable family!

princess jen said...

Yum! I'm going to be making pumpkin butter this week. I can't wait! I think you should post the recipe for pumpkin oatmeal. I know Anya would love it!